Monday 13 August 2012

Say Yes To The Dress (then TRASH the heck out of it)

So, I hope if you are reading this you caught my post yesterday about my sister's wedding.  If not...ch-ch-check it out!  Even though I did get a chance to use my camera on the day of the wedding, my main purpose was to stand up for my sister (which I did proudly, and hopefully well).  However, the following day was more my style because it was...TRASH THE DRESS DAY!!  Woo!  My first official trash the dress.  It took a bit of convincing to first, get my sister to agree to get into the ocean with her dress...and second, to get her husband to agree to another day of photos.  It was a hard sell for Tyler, but he's a good sport so we had about 15-20 minutes of his undivided attention.  Perfect! 

I have to admit, with my fashion background I quickly realized trash the dress is much more my cup of tea.  I love all other styles of photography but I find TTD is more about the art behind the shot...and its ok to go a bit off course with the shot...think outside the box a bit more...turn it more into an editorial style shoot.  I will admit I was pretty nervous...after all, this was my sister's very expensive dress about to be ruined...to quote Eminem "You only get one shot, do not miss your chance to blow.  This opportunity comes once in a lifetime...yo!"  So yes, a nervous nelly I was indeed! 

I do have to thank my lovely sister for completely trusting me though, I don't think I would have ended up with the images I did if she hadn't.  So these are just a few of my favourite shots...but believe me, it was NOT easy picking my favourites...but I made some tough cuts and narrowed them down to the following...ENJOY! :)







 This next photo deserves a quick back story.  When I said before that Brittney put complete trust in me...I meant it!  See, she has a tiny fear of water, so right before this photo I had asked her to lay on her back and float...2 problems with that...#1: the look on her face was pure terror (and as her sister I can say utterly hilarious!), and #2: the way her dress was no matter how hard they tried the air pockets in the under layer would not go away...making it look like she had massive balloons under her dress keeping her afloat.  Fortunately, even though that particular pose didn't work I got this super cute candid of Britt and Tyler after.  You never know how you're going to get that perfect shot!



xoxo

Courtney

No comments:

Post a Comment